Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hmmm....let me zinc.

A while back, Lunada spec'd a zinc countertop out for a client.  Being a young designer and at that point, still in school, I had never heard of using zinc for countertops.  My boss (who pretty much knows everything about anything and it is amazing!) told me that it is similar to stainless steel in properties.  It's non-porous but can be scratched, great if you want a different look. Over time it will patina and develop more depth of color.  Well, we ended up going in a different direction for that client and it was never fabricated so that I could see one in person.  But, ever since then, I have been on the lookout for zinc countertops and along the way found all kinds of different furniture pieces that I think are absolutely gorgeous.  I even found a dresser on Restoration Hardware's website.  I don't know if I would trust it not to snag my sweaters or other pieces of clothes, but it looks rad and isn't that what's most important? Just kidding.